Sunday, June 7, 2009

Aalesund



















Wow, I don't even know where to begin. When you come to a place so different from home, it's difficult to explain it consicely. One word...amazing! And I haven't even really done anything yet besides go to and from the airport. You know a place is amazing if that is all you see and are impressed :)
Mari missed her connection yesterday so I have been spending time with her family without her. Aalesund is awesome and her family has treated me very well. They are graciously speaking all English to me (everyone here speaks good English, yay!) and have fed me two wonderful meals. Her parents have been so easy and interesting to talk with.

We picked Mari up from the local airport this afternoon so now we are all here. I'm really looking forward to getting out and seeing the city. I have the finished basement to myself with a private bathroom. I can't begin to explain how wonderful that first shower was last night! The house is lovely with a beautiful Scandinavian feel to it (think Ikea)...simple, clean design with light colors. I love it here and the family has made me feel very welcome. It's hard to believe that Mari could like Warner Robins, Georgia at all after being raised here! The main thing I haven't gotten used to is the fact that at this time of year it doesn't really get dark here...ever. I went to bed at 12:30 last night and it was still daylight outside!!!! My body also felt like it was 7:30 despite my fatigue so I hard a bit of a struggle going to sleep. It felt wrong..LOL!!
We went out driving this evening and I took some new pictures. Above are Mari's parents and some flowers with mountains in the background. The other picture is from the plane yesterday, a photo of the snow-capped mountains and one of the fjords. I have this picture on Facebook and my sister said it was her favorite!
Tonight I am going to hear Mari's dad play at a local pub. He is in a band that plays traditional music so this should be good. Maybe I'll get some good pics from that as well!!


No comments:

Post a Comment