Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Never doesn't mean Never in Norwegian

Norwegians are very kind and modest people. If you compliment a Norwegian on a new outfit, he or she will insist that it is something found in the back of the closet and does not merit the attention you are giving it. I find this to be very charming and a little humorous because you know it's coming. Here's another example. If you ask a Norwegian if (s)he speaks English, they will insist that do not. They will be doing this, of course, in English. They will say, "No my English is terrible! I NEVER speak English. It is very bad. I studied it in school but now I never speak it." Call me crazy, but if you can say all that and I understand you...that's pretty darn good English!


When a Norwegian says, "I never speak English at home", that's a very different thing than Americans saying they never speak Norwegian at home. You, dear reader, are probably American and know EXACTLY what I mean. We don't even know any Norwegian words. Not one. Think right now...do you know any Norwegian words? Ok, maybe fjord. Anything else? Boris Becker doesn't count either.

If you speak to a Norwegian, any Norwegian under the age of 70, in English, he or she will respond to you in English. Luckily I remembered this when I was standing in line at the gas station this morning right behind THE CUTEST MAN IN NORWAY.
I spoke in English.
He spoke in English.
We smiled.
He actually touched my hand (albeit probably on accident).
I'm sure THE CUTEST MAN IN NORWAY would have loved to talk to me much longer but, alas, the Bird Mountain was calling. So now I must face the fact that I am American and when I say I'll NEVER see him again, I'm not just being modest!

5 comments:

  1. You will learn as you move forward and I bet when you meet the cutest man in Spain this story will end differently!LOL
    BTW,Boris Becker is German

    ReplyDelete
  2. see?? people don't know anything about norway!!! LOL!!! (and i don't know anything about sports!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know anything about Norwary, although I had a daughter who use to enter all beauty pageants with her sisters as "Miss Norway." I am with Rob, just wait til you get to Spain and of course the little man in Norway will just be a distant memory. Hope you are having a good time. We here in this country feel safer, knowing you are gone for a while. Ha-Ha. In my day that was lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daddy! I am so impressed you set up an account! :) Thanks for the comment, now I know you actually read my blog...yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Miss Norway weighing in......I too am impressed to see a post from Tom. If it hadn't been for the pageant comment, I might have thought it was just another friend. Go daddy! Telisa, your trip has caused all of us to learn a little about Norway and a lot about computers. BTW Miss Norway NEVER speaks norwegian in the American pageants. Love ya, have fun!

    ReplyDelete