Monday, June 15, 2009

Adios Aalesund



Overlook at Geirangerfjord










Me and the Seven Sisters waterfall on the Geiranger fjord












Mari's parents at an overlook in Geiranger into the fjord.




I cannot believe I have been here for over a week! I have done a lot of traveling around to nearby places and the time has flown! Since my last entry, Mari and I visited some of her family in Molde and a place called Tombefjord. Everyone has been so nice to me here, extremely gracious and interesting to talk to.







The picture to the right is of Mari, her cousin Vilde, and Vilde's parents- Aunt Ida and Uncle Lars. This was taken a the top of a viewpoint on top of a mountain in Molde. From here, on a clear day, you can see the peaks of some 270 mountians!







Me at a roadside photo op stop :)






I have so many pictures that I cannot post a fraction of them on this blog but I promise I will print them when I get home. I've only been here for 9 days and I have had the experience of a lifetime! Norway is a beatuful country and I hope to bring Peyton back one day. Our excursion yesterday included a trip to Geirangerfjord. This is a famous fjord surrounded by steep mountain walls and has amazing waterfalls. By the end of the day, Per Gunnar and Mette were poking fun at how many times I said,"OH MY GOSH!!", and "WOW!!!!" There was snow on the mountians that was starting to melt and making the most beautiful and powerful waterfalls. The water was so clear and, I'm sure, cold. I didn't try to find out just how cold!! We also travelled along a road called the Trollstigen that is marked by its hairpin turns and incredible waterfalls. WOW. I don't have a vocabulary broad enough to explain the natural beauty of this place and the pictures simply do not do it justice.




So now it's Monday and I am leaving Aalesund tomorrow for Bergen. I won't be coming back to the house after I leave tomorrow. I wasn't sure before I came what my relationship with Mari's family would be like. Would they like me? Would I like them?? Would it be awkward and would we have anything to talk about?? After nine days I am really quite sad to be leaving. Mette and Per Gunnar have taken such good care of me. They have fed me one excellent meal after another. Mette swears she's not a good cook, but she could hold her own against our family--- and that is saying a lot!! Both Mari's parents are interesting to talk to and have a good sense of humor (a requirement for me...lol). They have been the best hosts I could have asked for! The house is cozy and comfortable and has really become a home for me since I've been in Aalesund. I will miss being here and I hope to bring Peyton back with me one day in the near future. I really can't thank them enough for all they have done for me but I am going to try by cooking dinner for the family tonight. (I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING DADDY AND STACY BUT I REALLY CAN COOK!!!)


Me standing in the snow in June!


So soon it's adios to Aalesund and the friends I've made here. But I think I will be back and Mari and her family are talking about coming to the U.S. next year. Hopefully this means my goodbyes tomorrow won't be real goodbyes, just a few see- you- laters!


4 comments:

  1. So.....what exactly will you be preparing for dinner? Roast, rice & gravy? Or your famouse pineapple casserole? Do the ole Howard family name proud!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG roast, rice and gravy would have been great! totally didn't think about it! i am making a pork chop and rice casserole and a lemon merengue pie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. DAMN, that snow looks good. I just came in from outside where I nearly had a heat stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an unbelievable start to your journey!I hope
    the rest of the trip can even begin to go as smoothly as this part.Thank you so much for letting us,your friends and family to experience some of this with you!It is fantastic!!!!

    ReplyDelete